Maurice Molarsky [1885-1950]
Russian-American Portrait Painter
Portrait of Young Beauty, ca.1910s
Oil on canvas
30 x 25 inches
“Maurice Molarsky’s skill in the portrayal of women has long been a distinguishing quality of this Philadelphia artist…”
—The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, PA, “Molarsky Exhibit”, Sunday, March 21, 1948, page 56, not illustrated.
Russian born, Maurice Molarsky settled in Philadelphia, PA were he was a figure, portrait, and still-life painter. He also did an occasional marine scene.
– Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art
– Philadelphia Art Alliance
– France and England [unspecified schools or studios]
1999 Freeman’s, Philadelphia, PA, “Auction”, October 11.
1948 Moore Institute of Art, School of Design for Women, Philadelphia, PA, “Retrospective”, March 21- April 3.
1946 Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, “Solo Show”.
Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, “Biennials”, [various dates].
Philadelphia Sketch Club, Philadelphia, PA, “Exhibitions”, [various dates].
1915 San Francisco, CA, “Pan-Pacific Exposition”.
1912 Samuel T. Freeman & Co., Philadelphia, PA, “Valuable oil paintings”, February 12-13.
1904-1950 Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, “Annual Exhibitions of Oils and Sculpture”, [not all years].
– 1909: Fellowship Prize, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art
– 1904: Cresson Travel Scholarship
– 1903: Thouron Prize for Composition
– Allied Artists of America
– Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, fellow
Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts [The Connoisseur (Eugene Costello) ca. 1923, and My Father, 1907]
– The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, PA, “[Ad for Freeman’s] RH-000017-L”, Saturday, October 9, 1999, page 13, illustrated: b&w.
– The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, PA, “1748 walnut spice box is featured in 3-day sale at Freeman”, Saturday, September 30, 1995, page A9
– Who Was Who in American Art edited by Peter Hastings Falk.
– Who Was Who in American Art by Sound View Press, 1985, second edition, 2001.
– American Art Annuals, 1913-48 by American Federation of the Arts
– Dictionary of American Painters, Sculptors, and Engravers by Fielding, Mantle. .
– Dictionary of Artists in America, 1564-1860 by Groce and Wallace, The New York Historical Society.
– Index to Artists by D. T. Mallett.
– Archives of American Art (Smithsonian Institution). http://si.edu
– PAFA library clipping file
– The Annual Exhibition Record of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts edited by Peter Hastings Falk, 1988-89, Volume 3, Sound View Press, Madison, CT.